Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wednesday, December 15: Coffee Ceremony

Ethiopians love their coffee! And don't make the mistake that I did, and inquire about decaf. There is no such thing in Ethiopia!

We went back to the Gladney foster care center on Wednesday for the coffee ceremony. When there is a cause of celebration, or farewell, or simply a desire for a break in the day, Ethiopians have a coffee ceremony. I could get used to that tradition! When we arrived at the center, Arri was promptly removed from my arms by her special mother, Beza. Each child has a special mother, a primary caretaker, and on the day of the coffee ceremony, the special mother gives the child gifts and says goodbye for the last time. I knew this would be a poignant day, and it was. Beza gave Arri a beautiful traditional Ethiopian dress, and another caretaker gave her a purse, and another gave her a bracelet. They styled her hair, and here she is!!

                                                 Yes, that is a UNC onesie under the dress! 


Arri and her special mother, Beza

The coffee ceremony with Travis and Solomon

                                           
                                                                  Solomon and Arri


After the coffee ceremony, Beza came to say goodbye to Arri, and I asked Travis to translate. We said "thank you" to Beza for all of her love and care, and of course I started to cry! How can you thank someone for loving your child for 8 months, while she waited to be united with her family? The caretakers are amazing. They love the children very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment